A question that a lot of freelance photographers, experts and camera enthusiasts have today is ‘which is the best 360 camera for photos’. And, we believe it is a valid question. Most reviews, buying guides and 360 camera suggestions you see online today focus a lot on video without actually taking the image capturing capabilities of the camera into perspective.
It might escape bloggers and other reviewers, but there are people who want a 360 camera for nothing more than just taking pictures. There are many experts who have no interest in shooting interactive 360 videos. In fact, all they want to do is have a 360 camera that can help them take amazing pictures around them.
Until fairly recently, the only option for enthusiasts to take 360 images was to use a panoramic tripod and a DSLR together to take multiple shots and align them with each other. This usually results in amazing images but takes a lot of time and requires investment in costly equipment to get the job done.
This was before the launch of 360 cameras that revolutionized the concept of 360 images and changed everything for the better. There are plenty of 360 cameras in the market today, each with features and characteristics of its own.
The 5 Best 360 Cameras for Photos
In this article, we take a look at some of the best 360 cameras for photos. These cameras are specifically meant for photos and help improve the output you get from static images.
1. Insta360 One x
It is hard to find a better camera than the Insta360 One x. Just as the name would suggest, this is an updated over the Insta 360 one and features massive improvements in picture quality. This camera delivers 18 MP camera resolutions and is comparable to some DSLR results.
The stabilization is perfect and the slow-mo feature allows you to take videos on the go. The battery timing is great for pictures and you can easily get 2 to 3 hours of output from it.
2. Vuze XR
The Vuze XR is one of the easiest and most convenient 360 cameras to carry in our list. The camera allows you to take 180 degrees and 360 degrees photos on the go and maximizes charge time.
You can remove the two bug cameras to capture 3D images on the go. There is also a built-in handle within the package for stability, which saves you from the cost of a new one.
Insta360 X3 Ultimate Kit - Waterproof 360 Action Camera with 1/2" 48MP Sensors, 5.7K 360 Active HDR Video, 72MP 360 Photo, 4K Single-Lens, 60fps Me Mode, Stabilization, 2.29" Touchscreen, AI Editing
- 360 CAPTURE & REFRAMING: X3 captures 5.7K 360 Active HDR video, so you'll never miss the action. Choose your favorite angle after the fact with easy reframing tools in the AI-powered Insta360 app.
- DUAL 1/2" 48MP SENSORS: X3's new sensors pack in more pixels for greater clarity and
Weivision Super Hd 1080P 360 Degree Bird's Eye-View Camera Dvr System Bird View Panoramic All Round View System + 7inch Hd Display (with 7inch HD Display)
- Weivision 360° Around View Camera System can get real surround vision of driving, help to avoid blind spots and secure driving safety! It’s designed for car pick up all within 22ft vehicles, etc, easy to install and calibrate.
- Weivision 360° Around View Camera System helps a lot in
REDTIGER Dash Cam Front Rear, 4K/2.5K Full HD Dash Camera for Cars, Free 32GB SD Card, Built-in Wi-Fi GPS, 3.18” IPS Screen, Night Vision, 170°Wide Angle, WDR, 24H Parking Mode
- 4K+1080P DUAL RECORDING- REDTIGER brings to you F7NP dual dash cam which records video of up to Ultra HD 4K(3840*2160P)+FHD 1080P resolutions. It helps you to read the key details like road signs, vehicle number plates etc. To reduce the blind areas it has the front wide angle
GoPro MAX — Waterproof 360 + Traditional Camera with Touch Screen Spherical 5.6K30 HD Video 16.6MP 360 Photos 1080p Live Streaming Stabilization
- Three Cameras in One: Maximize your creative freedom. With MAX you can shoot traditional Hero-style video and photos or capture immersive 360 footage. Vlog to the max with shotgun-mic performance and a front-facing screen
- Max HyperSmooth: MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180-degree capture as the ultimate
3. Ricoh Theta V
The Ricoh Theta V is famous for two things; the compact design of the camera and the amazing street photography that it has to offer. The sensor glass and the image quality of this camera are top notch and keeps you satisfied.
The machine operates beautifully and remains stable through bad weather and shocks. It is easy to use together with your smartphone for better results.
4. GoPro Hero Max
The GoPro Hero Max is an upgrade over some of the other 360 cameras that you will find in the market within your range. The camera comes with a display at the back to help you see the image output.
The stabilization video helps with videos as well. You can also livestream your photos and videos on social media through this camera for an immersive experience.
5. Vecnos Iqui
The Vecnos Iqui is a pen-sized camera that is easy to carry on the go and take amazing pictures with. The camera can be operated quickly without any delays and is easy to store in your pockets.
The Vecnos Iqui comes at an amazing price and is by far the most valuable camera on this list. If you’re a starter looking for a 360 camera to take some good photos on the go, then this is what you need.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best 360 Camera for Photos
There are multiple factors that you need to take into consideration when getting the best 360 camera for photos. The considerations below will help you during the purchase process and will allow you to find out the best camera for your 360 photos.
Regardless of how you intend to use the 360 camera, the very first thing you need to consider in your camera is the lens it carries. Even if you aren’t aware of the technology behind cameras, you should ensure you do your due diligence here. A 360 camera usually comes in two different lenses. Once you’re in the process of checking the camera lens, you should consider the shutter time and the ISO range for that lens as well. These are features that influence the end result of the lens and should meet the objectives you have in mind.
If you’re investing in a high quality 360 camera that comes at a hefty cost, you would want to get decent image quality from it. Image quality is determined by the camera resolution of the device. A quality image is one that compresses the pixels present and makes them unidentifiable. Higher resolutions are often associated with better quality.
Storage and Charge Time
Another thing you want to consider is the storage of the camera you buy. The camera should have enough external storage limits to store your pictures on the go. Additionally, it should give enough hours on one charge to take you through your photography sessions. A camera that loses its charge within an hour won’t be ideal for taking with you on the go.
Insta360 ONE X Action Camera 360 Degree, 5.7K Video 18MP Photo, FlowState Stabilization, Real Time WiFi Transfer, Sports Video
- Leading Image Quality: Shoot stunning 5.7K video or 18MP photo.
- Impossible Stablization: FlowState keeps shots steady, be it while jumping out of a plane, or mounting it on your dog.
- Control Time & Perspective: Reframe your shots after the fact, then control the speed of playback with TimeShift.
Insta360 X3 - Waterproof 360 Action Camera with 1/2" 48MP Sensors, 5.7K 360 Active HDR Video, 72MP 360 Photo, 4K Single-Lens, 60fps Me Mode, Stabilization, 2.29" Touchscreen, AI Editing, Live Stream
- [𝐈𝐌𝐏𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐈𝐏𝐒] Choose the "Insta360 Official Store" from the seller list to ensure the product authenticity.
- 360 CAPTURE & REFRAMING: X3 captures 5.7K 360 Active HDR video, so you'll never miss the action. Choose your favorite angle after the fact with easy reframing tools in the AI-powered Insta360
Insta360 ONE X2 360 Camera with Touchscreen - 5.7K30 360 Video, Front Steady Cam Mode, 18MP 360 Photo + InstaPano | Bundle Includes Invisible Selfie Stick (120cm) & 128GB Memory Card (3 Items)
- 360 5.7K VIDEO + 2.7K STEADY CAM: The Insta360 ONE X2 is latest 360 camera packed with a multitude of new features. Based off the popular ONE X form factor, the new ONE X2 is outfitted with Super 5.7K 360 video resolution & H.265 encoding with an advanced
Our Final Thoughts
The Insta360 One X is our recommended pick for the best 360 camera for photos. This camera delivers 18 mega pixels and is comparable to some DSLR results. You can read more reviews for these products online to make your choice.