A question that a lot of freelance photographers, experts and camera enthusiasts have today is ‘which is the best 360 camera for photos’. And, we believe it is a valid question. Most reviews, buying guides and 360 camera suggestions you see online today focus a lot on video without actually taking the image capturing capabilities of the camera into perspective.
It might escape bloggers and other reviewers, but there are people who want a 360 camera for nothing more than just taking pictures. There are many experts who have no interest in shooting interactive 360 videos. In fact, all they want to do is have a 360 camera that can help them take amazing pictures around them.
Until fairly recently, the only option for enthusiasts to take 360 images was to use a panoramic tripod and a DSLR together to take multiple shots and align them with each other. This usually results in amazing images but takes a lot of time and requires investment in costly equipment to get the job done.
This was before the launch of 360 cameras that revolutionized the concept of 360 images and changed everything for the better. There are plenty of 360 cameras in the market today, each with features and characteristics of its own.
The 5 Best 360 Cameras for Photos
In this article, we take a look at some of the best 360 cameras for photos. These cameras are specifically meant for photos and help improve the output you get from static images.
1. Insta360 One x
- The Pocket Camera Crew: With just one device, shoot first in every direction with super 5.7K 360 capture and then choose your favorite angle later. Or pick just one lens with Steady Cam mode for ultra-stable wide angle footage.
- FlowState Stabilization: Better-than-ever stabilization and horizon leveling algorithms keep your shots steady—no gimbal needed.
- Invisible Selfie Stick: Shoot with the Invisible Selfie Stick and then watch it disappear in your edit. Capture easy drone-like angles and third-person perspectives with the flick of a wrist.
- IPX8 Waterproof: Insta360 ONE X2 is waterproof to 10 meters (33ft). Take it out in a rainstorm or surfing without a case.
- In the Box: 1x Insta360 ONE X2, 1x Charge Cable, 1x Battery, 1x Protective Pouch and 1x User Guide.
It is hard to find a better camera than the Insta360 One x. Just as the name would suggest, this is an updated over the Insta 360 one and features massive improvements in picture quality. This camera delivers 18 MP camera resolutions and is comparable to some DSLR results.
The stabilization is perfect and the slow-mo feature allows you to take videos on the go. The battery timing is great for pictures and you can easily get 2 to 3 hours of output from it.
2. Vuze XR
- Shoot with Confidence Using in-App Video Stabilization
- Record videos with the resolution of [email protected] fps, [email protected] fps and [email protected] fps. Records as MP4 with H.264 encoder for enhanced image quality.
- Take DNG and JPG photos at 18 MP resolution. Giving you the ability to professionally edit your photos after taking them, to achieve whatever result you desire.
- With the touch of a button, the Vuze XR goes from a 360 camera to VR 180°, giving you unique ways to explore more -- and tell your story bigger and better. Change the perspective and adjust it to your audience.
- Easily create out-of-this-world content, ready to be shared live or edited to be enjoyed later. Control the camera via WiFi through a dedicated mobile app for both Android and iOS. Edit, add voice-over and effects. Reframe your video using Directors Cut too
The Vuze XR is one of the easiest and most convenient 360 cameras to carry in our list. The camera allows you to take 180 degrees and 360 degrees photos on the go and maximizes charge time.
You can remove the two bug cameras to capture 3D images on the go. There is also a built-in handle within the package for stability, which saves you from the cost of a new one.
3. Ricoh Theta V
- Theta V shoots hi-def smooth 360 Degree video at 30 fps at 3840 x 1920 pixels or 4K. It supports the H.264 file format for video recording ; Remote release: CA-3-compatible
- Hi-res 360 Degree spherical stills and video with improvements to the image quality. New Qualcomm Snapdragon processor has completely enhanced the exposure accuracy and white balance algorithm. Object distance- Approx. 10cm - Infinity (from front of lens)
- Theta has a 4-channel microphone that supports 360 Degree spatial audio recording built in Omnidirectional audio is recorded not just in the horizontal direction but also in the vertical direction
- The world’s-first Remote Playback capable fully spherical camera allows users to wirelessly playback 360 Degree images and videos on a large-screen display Using a compatible wireless display adapter
- Wireless LAN transfer speed (WLAN, MAX): 2.4GHz, 3mm: 20Mbps; 2.4GHz, 10mm: 10Mbps; 5GHz, 3mm: 50Mbps; 5GHz, 10mm: 10Mbps. The camera can always be connected to a smartphone using Bluetooth low energy (BLE) This function provides improvements in usability and power consumpt
The Ricoh Theta V is famous for two things; the compact design of the camera and the amazing street photography that it has to offer. The sensor glass and the image quality of this camera are top notch and keeps you satisfied.
The machine operates beautifully and remains stable through bad weather and shocks. It is easy to use together with your smartphone for better results.
4. GoPro Hero Max
- Three Cameras in One: Maximize your creative freedom. With MAX you can shoot traditional Hero-style video and photos or capture immersive 360 footage. Vlog to the max with shotgun-mic performance and a front-facing screen
- Max HyperSmooth: MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180-degree capture as the ultimate buffer
- Live Streaming in 1080p: Shoot in HERO mode and share while you’re there. Live stream in 1080p on social, get Max HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later
- Horizon Leveling: In HERO mode, game-changing horizon leveling gives you that silky-smooth cinematic look whether youre getting sideways, flipping through the air or chasing your kids
- PowerPano: Pano without the pan. Take incredible 270-degree distortion-free panoramic photos without having to scan the horizon. Take PowerPano selfies, action shots and vertical pics—all with a level horizon
- Premium 360 plus Stereo Audio: Six mics capture true-to-life 360 audio and deliver the best stereo sound ever from a GoPro
- Digital Lenses: Choose from four digital lenses in HERO mode to get the shot. Capture video and photos in Narrow, Linear, Wide and Max SuperView—our widest view yet
- Max TimeWarp: Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while moving through an activity. In HERO mode, automatically adjust speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. Slow down to real time—savoring moments—and then tap to speed it back up
- Includes: GoPro MAX Camera, Rechargeable Battery, Curved Adhesive Mount, 2 Protective Lenses, 2 Lens Caps, Microfiber Bag, Mounting Buckle plus Thumb Screw, USB-C Cable, Carrying C
The GoPro Hero Max is an upgrade over some of the other 360 cameras that you will find in the market within your range. The camera comes with a display at the back to help you see the image output.
The stabilization video helps with videos as well. You can also livestream your photos and videos on social media through this camera for an immersive experience.
5. Vecnos Iqui
The Vecnos Iqui is a pen-sized camera that is easy to carry on the go and take amazing pictures with. The camera can be operated quickly without any delays and is easy to store in your pockets.
The Vecnos Iqui comes at an amazing price and is by far the most valuable camera on this list. If you’re a starter looking for a 360 camera to take some good photos on the go, then this is what you need.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best 360 Camera for Photos
There are multiple factors that you need to take into consideration when getting the best 360 camera for photos. The considerations below will help you during the purchase process and will allow you to find out the best camera for your 360 photos.
Regardless of how you intend to use the 360 camera, the very first thing you need to consider in your camera is the lens it carries. Even if you aren’t aware of the technology behind cameras, you should ensure you do your due diligence here. A 360 camera usually comes in two different lenses. Once you’re in the process of checking the camera lens, you should consider the shutter time and the ISO range for that lens as well. These are features that influence the end result of the lens and should meet the objectives you have in mind.
If you’re investing in a high quality 360 camera that comes at a hefty cost, you would want to get decent image quality from it. Image quality is determined by the camera resolution of the device. A quality image is one that compresses the pixels present and makes them unidentifiable. Higher resolutions are often associated with better quality.
Storage and Charge Time
Another thing you want to consider is the storage of the camera you buy. The camera should have enough external storage limits to store your pictures on the go. Additionally, it should give enough hours on one charge to take you through your photography sessions. A camera that loses its charge within an hour won’t be ideal for taking with you on the go.
Our Final Thoughts
The Insta360 One X is our recommended pick for the best 360 camera for photos. This camera delivers 18 mega pixels and is comparable to some DSLR results. You can read more reviews for these products online to make your choice.
|Top||Insta360 ONE X2 360 Degree Waterproof Action Camera, 5.7K 360, Stabilization, Touch Screen, AI Editing, Live Streaming, Webcam, Voice Control||Check Today's Price|
|Vuze XR 5.7K 3D VR & 360 Camera - Black||Check Today's Price|
|Ricoh Theta SC2 360-Degree 4K Spherical VR Camera (Blue) Bundle with Selfie Stick Accessory Bundle||Check Today's Price|