360 cameras have been gaining popularity in recent years as a means of recording everything that happens around a vehicle. The footage they capture can be invaluable in the event of an accident or other incident, and many insurers now offer discounts to drivers who have them installed. Apart from their usefulness in accidents, 360 cameras can also be helpful in recording traffic violations, bad driving, and other events.
If you’re thinking of installing a 360 camera in your car, there are a few things you need to know. In this article, we’ll cover everything from choosing the right camera to properly installing it in your vehicle.
What You’ll Need
- 360 Camera
- Mounting hardware (usually included with the camera)
- Power supply (usually included with the camera)
Step 1: Choose a Mounting Location
The first step is to decide where you want to mount the camera. The most common spot is on the windshield, just behind the rearview mirror. This gives the camera a good view of everything in front of and around the car.
If you have a larger vehicle, such as an SUV, you may want to consider mounting the camera on the back window. This will give you a better view of what’s going on behind you.
Step 2: Clean the Mounting Surface
Once you’ve decided where to mount the camera, clean the surface with an alcohol wipe to remove any dirt, dust, or fingerprints. This will help ensure that the camera stays in place and doesn’t get damaged. Not doing so may result in your camera falling off and breaking. Moreover, the adhesive that is used to hold the camera in place may not work as well.
Step 3: Attach Mounting Bracket
Most 360 cameras come with a mounting bracket that attaches to the camera itself. The bracket will have a screw or other mechanism that you’ll use to attach it to the chosen surface. Make sure that the bracket is securely attached to the camera before proceeding.
Step 4: Affix Camera to the Mounting Surface
Once the bracket is secure, it’s time to affix the camera to the chosen surface. Again, there will usually be a screw or other locking mechanism that you’ll use to keep the camera in place. Once everything is tight, give the camera a gentle shake to make sure it’s not going anywhere.
Step 5: Connect Power Supply
Most 360 cameras come with a built-in battery, but you’ll still need to connect it to a power source to keep it charged. The power supply will usually plug into the cigarette lighter socket or some other interface in your car. Once it’s plugged in, you should see an indicator light on the camera itself to show that it’s receiving power.
Step 6: Turn on the Camera
The final step is to turn on the camera. This is usually done by pressing a button on the device itself. Once it’s on, the camera will start recording automatically. You can usually access the footage by connecting the camera to a computer via USB or some other method.
Insta360 X3 Ultimate Kit - Waterproof 360 Action Camera with 1/2" 48MP Sensors, 5.7K 360 Active HDR Video, 72MP 360 Photo, 4K Single-Lens, 60fps Me Mode, Stabilization, 2.29" Touchscreen, AI Editing
- 360 CAPTURE & REFRAMING: X3 captures 5.7K 360 Active HDR video, so you'll never miss the action. Choose your favorite angle after the fact with easy reframing tools in the AI-powered Insta360 app.
- DUAL 1/2" 48MP SENSORS: X3's new sensors pack in more pixels for greater clarity and
Weivision Super Hd 1080P 360 Degree Bird's Eye-View Camera Dvr System Bird View Panoramic All Round View System + 7inch Hd Display (with 7inch HD Display)
- Weivision 360° Around View Camera System can get real surround vision of driving, help to avoid blind spots and secure driving safety! It’s designed for car pick up all within 22ft vehicles, etc, easy to install and calibrate.
- Weivision 360° Around View Camera System helps a lot in
REDTIGER Dash Cam Front Rear, 4K/2.5K Full HD Dash Camera for Cars, Free 32GB SD Card, Built-in Wi-Fi GPS, 3.18” IPS Screen, Night Vision, 170°Wide Angle, WDR, 24H Parking Mode
- 4K+1080P DUAL RECORDING- REDTIGER brings to you F7NP dual dash cam which records video of up to Ultra HD 4K(3840*2160P)+FHD 1080P resolutions. It helps you to read the key details like road signs, vehicle number plates etc. To reduce the blind areas it has the front wide angle
GoPro MAX — Waterproof 360 + Traditional Camera with Touch Screen Spherical 5.6K30 HD Video 16.6MP 360 Photos 1080p Live Streaming Stabilization
- Three Cameras in One: Maximize your creative freedom. With MAX you can shoot traditional Hero-style video and photos or capture immersive 360 footage. Vlog to the max with shotgun-mic performance and a front-facing screen
- Max HyperSmooth: MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180-degree capture as the ultimate
And that’s it! You’re now ready to start recording everything that happens around your vehicle. Just be sure to keep an eye on the footage to make sure nothing important is missed.
Important Tips to Remember
Most 360 cameras will start recording automatically when you turn them on. If you want to stop recording, you’ll need to press the button on the camera or remote control.
Be sure to format the memory card (if your camera uses one) before use. This will ensure that the footage is properly recorded and can be easily viewed later.
It’s a good idea to test the camera before using it for an important event. This will help you make sure that it is working properly and that you’re comfortable with its operation.
When driving, keep an eye on the camera’s battery level and power supply. If either one runs low, stop recording and recharge or replace it as needed.
If you’re involved in an accident or other incident, be sure to save the footage! This can be invaluable evidence in support of your case.
Common Mistakes People Make When Installing 360 Cameras
Not all 360 cameras are created equal. Some are much easier to install than others. Make sure you read the instructions carefully before attempting to install your camera.
Not all surfaces are suitable for mounting a 360 camera. If the chosen spot is too curved or textured, the camera may not stay in place. Be sure to test the mount before attaching the camera permanently.
Forgetting to connect the power supply is one of the most common mistakes people make. Without power, the camera won’t work, and you won’t be able to record anything.
Trying to save money by buying a cheap camera is often a mistake. These cameras usually have poor build quality and may not work as well as more expensive models. In some cases, they may even damage your vehicle.
3 Pack Adhesive Wall Mount for Ring Camera&Stick Up Cam Battery&Indoor Cam,360 Degree Adjustable Mounting Bracket,Ceiling Mount Kit for Ring Plug-in HD Security Cam Without Drilling
- ►【PROFESSIONAL DESIGN】 Compatible with Ring Stick Up Cam & Ring Indoor Outdoor Cam, also fit for other SimpliSafe Outdoor Security Camera , WyzeCam pan Cam, Roelink Argus, Arlo Camera and other security cameras with 1/4” screw connector, etc. (Camera is NOT included).
- ►【360° ROTATION】This camera mount is easily
Aobelieve Quick Release Flat and Curved Adhesive Camera Mount
- Features flat and curved mounts for easy adjustability and maximum versatility
- Compatible with a wide variety of curved and flat surfaces
- Industrial-strength adhesive ensures secure mounting
- Quick-release design for easily and securely mounting or removing your camera from the base plate
- Standard 1/4"-20 threaded mount
2Pack Strong Adhesive Wall Mount Compatible with Ring Stick Up Cam Wired/Battery and Ring Indoor Cam HD Security Camera,360 Degree Adjustable Mounting Bracket for Camera with 1/4 Screw Head
- 【EASY INSTALLATION】:The StartVision Adjustable Security Wall Mount with Strong VHB adhesive can easily be adjusted with 360-degree swivel and 90-degree tilt, allowing the flexible positioning of your Arlo cameras. It’s sturdy enough to keep your camera in the same position you desire.
- 【Compatibility with various models】: Our security
Many people also try to save money by buying a used camera. This is usually not a good idea, as you don’t know how the previous owner treated the camera or what kind of condition it’s in. Stick with new models to be safe.
Finally, don’t mount the camera in a place where it will obstruct your view. This could lead to an accident or tickets from the police.
By following these tips, you can avoid common mistakes and ensure that your 360 camera is installed properly. Just be sure to take your time and read the instructions carefully before getting started.
Installing a 360 camera in your car is a great way to record everything that happens while you’re driving. Just be sure to follow the instructions carefully and test the camera before using it for an important event. Do you have any tips for installing a 360 camera? Let us know in the comments below!