Are you interested in the Yi 360 VR Camera? The Yi 360 VR Camera review will tell you all the pros and cons you need to know to make a smart decision.
The Yi 360 VR can record 360-degree footages in 5.7K. Featuring sharp resolution and good controls, the Yi 360 VR is suitable for hobbyists and experts alike.
4K resolution may sound good for conventional cameras and monitors. But it’s not enough for 360-degree cameras because the same number of pixels are spread out over the much larger 360-degree field of view rather than the much more compact 16:9 format view.
Our Review of the Yi 360 VR Camera
The Yi 360 VR camera is not bigger than a cigarette pack. But this compact camera is a 360 video shooting powerhouse with its ability to shot 5.7K resolution 360 videos at 30 frames per second. Many 360 cameras available on the market manage just 4K at 24 frames per second. So the Yi 360 VR is better than most models in terms of resolution and frame rate.
360 still images are also quite vibrant at 16 MP. An assortment of manual control is available so that you can manage without the app when needed. The 360 camera can live stream 4K videos to social media platforms.
- High resolution
- Vibrant colors
- Great app
- Universal tripod thread
- Not waterproof
- No app for Mac OS
- Becomes warm at times during operation
- Basic auto-stitching
With its 5.7K resolution capacity, the Yi 360 VR camera shoots more vivid visuals than many of its rivals.
One of the biggest issues with 360 cameras is that the photographer cannot get out of the picture since the 360 format is all-encompassing. The Yi 360 gets around this issue by allowing you to snap 3 still photos at intervals of 5 seconds. You can stand in 3 separate positions, and the app can recognize you in all 3 images and thus have you removed from the final image. The results are quite decent.
Both 360 videos and photos have crisp details and good depth in terms of color. Thus, image quality is good.
Compared to other less expensive 360 cameras, you will notice less chromatic aberration and noise with the Yi 360.
Insta360 X3 Ultimate Kit - Waterproof 360 Action Camera with 1/2" 48MP Sensors, 5.7K 360 Active HDR Video, 72MP 360 Photo, 4K Single-Lens, 60fps Me Mode, Stabilization, 2.29" Touchscreen, AI Editing
- 360 CAPTURE & REFRAMING: X3 captures 5.7K 360 Active HDR video, so you'll never miss the action. Choose your favorite angle after the fact with easy reframing tools in the AI-powered Insta360 app.
- DUAL 1/2" 48MP SENSORS: X3's new sensors pack in more pixels for greater clarity and
Weivision Super Hd 1080P 360 Degree Bird's Eye-View Camera Dvr System Bird View Panoramic All Round View System + 7inch Hd Display (with 7inch HD Display)
- Weivision 360° Around View Camera System can get real surround vision of driving, help to avoid blind spots and secure driving safety! It’s designed for car pick up all within 22ft vehicles, etc, easy to install and calibrate.
- Weivision 360° Around View Camera System helps a lot in
REDTIGER Dash Cam Front Rear, 4K/2.5K Full HD Dash Camera for Cars, Free 32GB SD Card, Built-in Wi-Fi GPS, 3.18” IPS Screen, Night Vision, 170°Wide Angle, WDR, 24H Parking Mode
- 4K+1080P DUAL RECORDING- REDTIGER brings to you F7NP dual dash cam which records video of up to Ultra HD 4K(3840*2160P)+FHD 1080P resolutions. It helps you to read the key details like road signs, vehicle number plates etc. To reduce the blind areas it has the front wide angle
GoPro MAX — Waterproof 360 + Traditional Camera with Touch Screen Spherical 5.6K30 HD Video 16.6MP 360 Photos 1080p Live Streaming Stabilization
- Three Cameras in One: Maximize your creative freedom. With MAX you can shoot traditional Hero-style video and photos or capture immersive 360 footage. Vlog to the max with shotgun-mic performance and a front-facing screen
- Max HyperSmooth: MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180-degree capture as the ultimate
Although automatic stitching function is available, it is not the best. The stitch line is highly visible. This may be a problem if it passes through faces or other important parts of the photo.
The resolution is brought down to Full HD if you go for in-camera stitching.
If you have a PC, you can avoid this problem by downloading the app and stitching optically in 5.7K. Unfortunately, Mac OS users are out of luck since no such software is available to them.
At just under an hour, battery life is not terribly long. However, do note that most other 360 cameras don’t fare any better on average.
The Yi 360 is equipped with Sony IMX377 sensors capable of recording about 16 MP for still images and videos.
There are other useful features as well in the 360 camera. Videographers can adjust the ISO, white balance, exposure compensation and exposure metering mode. Moreover, the camera is also compatible with external mics. For this, you will have to fit the Yi adapter in the available USB-C port. This audio recording feature is especially useful for streaming 4K live videos to Facebook and YouTube.
The 360 camera records 360 images in time intervals ranging from 0.5 seconds to 60 seconds.
Besides 5.7K, the 360 camera can manage lower resolutions at higher frame rates. It can shoot 2K at 120 fps, 2.5K at 60 fps and 4K at 30 fps.
It would have been nice for the camera to record 360 visuals in the cinematic 24 fps. In the next upgrade, the app should convert 360-degree visuals to the conventional 16:9 format.
The app is available on both Android and iOS for mobile users. The well-designed interface has plenty of intuitive controls for easy operation. You can make quick adjustments to the camera using the app so that you get images as desired.
YI Dual-Lens Indoor Camera, Home Security Camera System with Fixed Lens and Dome Camera in 1, Expanded Viewing Angle, Motion Tracking, Dual-Screen Display, Two-Way Audio, Phone Alerts
- Expanded Monitoring Coverage: The dual lens setup enables both motion tracking and focused monitoring. While the PT camera detects motion and begins tracking moving objects, the fixed lens can continue to maintain surveillance of critical areas. Meanwhile, the Yi Home app simultaneously initiates recording on both cameras, storing
YI Home Security Camera, 1080p 2.4G WiFi IP Indoor Surveillance Camera with Night Vision, Motion Detection, Phone App, Pet Cat Dog Cam Works with Alexa and Google Assistance
- Optional 24/7 professional-grade, video alarm system - The smart camera-based security system utilizes vision AI and 24/7 professional monitoring services to detect potential intruders and distribute verified video in real time via an app that replaces the outdated panel system.
- Smart AI Detections: YI cloud storage comes with
YI Dog Camera with Phone App, WiFi Indoor Cam with 2-Way Audio, Night Vision, 360-degree, Sound Motion Detection, Cat Pet Puppy Bird Animal Doggie Nanny Cam, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
- 2K Super Clear Video & Image Quality: View every event in 2K super clear image quality so you see exactly what is happening inside your home. Upgraded 3 million pixels, up to 2304 x 1296 resolution, for clarity in every angle. The F1.4 large aperture lens captures detailed
The Yi 360 links with your smartphone with Wi-Fi signals. On both Android and iOS, the app allows you to control all settings with ease using your smartphone. You can easily see the live feed on your phone. There are plenty of simple options for sharing and editing. Livestreaming to social media is a cinch.
There different viewing modes available for you to inspect and edit your images. The dual VR mode is also available, which you can view using your VR headset.
To preserve battery life, it is best not to transfer files over Wi-Fi. Besides quick battery recharge, there is also the issue of heating with Wi-Fi file transfers.
Although the 360 camera is bulkier than other such cameras, it can still slide easily into your pocket. In addition, a drawstring bag is available for safely storing the camera so that lenses remain safe.
The camera is unfortunately not waterproof.
The device has an OLED screen that allows you to toggle between menus with the help of the on/off button and the 2 navigation buttons.
Our Final Thoughts
Avid videographers will find that the Yi 360 provides most features necessary for 360 videos and images.
The camera is more about core features than novel functions. Thus you won’t find anything too fancy. But you can expect basic features that are most necessary, like manual editing, vivid colors, high resolution, standard tripod thread, etc.
Mac users will not be too pleased with the lack of desktop editing software. Unfortunately, auto stitching is also not the very best out there.
All in all, the Yi 360 VR camera packs a host of features so that you can do most basic things with ease.